11:53am, Oct 3, 2016
One of the United States’ most senior ex-military officers has warned that China and the US risk open conflict over the South China Sea because of basic misunderstandings between the two nations.
“When I’m in discussions with Chinese [officials] I’m incredibly righteous from the American point of view,” retired Admiral Blair said.
“I think there’s a notable inability for the two of us to understand what’s going on, on the other side and to find compromises we can both live with.”
Previously unreleased satellite images obtained by Four Corners show that as recently as last month, Chinese construction crews were continuing engineering works to turn submerged coral atolls into well-developed island bases.
Chinese coast guard vessels have kept foreign fishing boats well away from those islands and warned aircraft from flying over their airspace.
Retired admiral Blair said China’s claims were “intolerable” for the US and the impasse created a situation in which neither side can be seen to be backing down.
“We seem to have to deal by a series of concessions or wins, and that’s the kind of relationship that can escalate up over time,” he said.
“[It could] lead to conflict. Misunderstanding, then fear and conflict.”
If conflict were to occur, the retired Admiral said “neutralising” China’s outposts in the South China Sea was “probably 10 or 15 minutes’ worth of worth of work for US forces”.
He called on the Australian Defence Force to participate in joint exercises with the US through the contested waters.
“I think Australian and American ships should exercise together in the South China Sea, showing that, when they need to, they will send their armed forces in international airspace and water,” he said.
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said the US had never asked Australia to take part in exercises within disputed territorial waters.
“We will continue to do what we’ve always done and that is traverse the South China Sea, exercising our rights of passage over water, through the skies,” Ms Bishop said.
In 2013, the Philippines took China to the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague to settle the dispute.
In July, the court ruled in the Philippines’ favour and found that China’s Nine-Dash Line claim was “incompatible” with the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
China immediately rejected the ruling and refused to recognise the jurisdiction of the court.
“The assertions of China were contradictory, unlawful and [in] gross violation of international law,” former Philippine secretary of foreign affairs Albert Del Rosario said.
“We hope that the international community will help us in abiding by the ruling.”
You can see the report on Four Corners at 8.30pm Monday on ABC TV.
Image Source: businessinsider
Original source: thenewdaily
Great way to start a war USA always underestimating your opponent! This is not Iraq or some 3rd world unorganized army you are used to fighting.
Quote “If conflict were to occur, the retired Admiral said “neutralising” China’s outposts in the South China Sea was “probably 10 or 15 minutes’ worth of worth of work for US forces”.”
You must be joking those Islands are defended with Chinese copy of S300 SAM and their fighters have the range to cover those Islands. You also omit that the Chinese have anti-ship missiles that can hit US ships as far away as Guam. The SC Sea are also full of Chinese subs and their navy have supersonic anti-ship missile.
Chinese anti-ship missile layers